Inivitation scroll

Noises and music in the opening of TOUCH OF EVIL by Orson Welles

Touch of Evil by Orson Welles was restored in 1997, based on a 58 page memo sent by the filmmaker to Universal Studios just before the film’s release in 1958. At the time, the studio disregarded the memo. The nine pages dedicated to sound were taken up by the sound mixer/editor Walter Murch and led to a re-editing of the opening sequence, which lays out the programme for the entire film.

Touch of Evil, by Orson Welles